I love Young Adults fiction novels. I have found comfort in them many times and related to them so often. Some characters are so real to me that I feel like I’d run and hug them if we ever meet. Sometimes I want to talk to them and tell them how I feel too, cause after all, if they opened themselves to me the most genuine thing is to open myself to them too, right? Or it’s scary.. maybe. Today I’m writing, to some of those characters, short letters. Next time I’m writing to the others too.

Who’s your favorite character? Let me know in the comments

1. To Kainene (From Half of a yellow sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie)

Dear Kainene, I love you and your personality. You are so much like my sister and so much like me. Remember the time you took Richard’s manuscript and burned it? That was so my sister. She looks where to store his anger, then forgives. When you said that the upper class is a collection of illiterates who read nothing and eat food they dislike at overpriced restaurants and have social conversations around one subject: ‘How’s the new car behaving?, I nodded in agreement. It’s the same at my hometown, except that here they talk about houses and women. I related so much on how you build emotional defenses against the world. You are strong and lovely, Kainene.

2. To Augustus (From The Fault in our stars by John Green)

Augustus, you gave me an idea. Though, none of my friends can accept it, but I’d like to have a prefuneral too and listen to their eulogies. I’ll request it when I feel like my hour is approaching. You shouldn’t have died though. I spent nights crying because of you. And I’m bad at explaining such matters. But in the end I forgave you, because you were right when you said that hurt in this world is inevitable, but we do get to choose who we allow to hurt us. I’m happy that you chose Hazel. And I can confirm, she is happy she chose you too.

3. To Parvaneh (From A man called Ove by Fredrick Backman)

Hello foreign pregnant woman! I love how you entered in the old man’s life easily. Your sociability and warm conversation engagement is what everyone on the verge of suicide needs. what’s with IT consultants though? Your disdain for them is inexplicable. I laughed hard when you were learning how to drive. You know Ove had a point; how was driving hard to you who has given birth to two children and quite soon would be squeezing out a third? You’ve come to Sweden from a land far away and most likely you fled war and persecution and all sorts of other nonsense. You’ve learned a new language and got yourself an education and you’re holding together a family of obvious incompetents. It doesn’t make sense, right? I love you Parvaneh. I hope I’ll be as strong and lovely as you when I grow up.

Cover picture by Anna Remarchuck

(Visited 156 times, 1 visits today)

11 Comments

1. Stequilla May 11, 2021 at 2:01 pm

Kainene and Augustus are my all time favorite♥️. And oh gush Yes, that is what we do in our home.
    Thank you.
    Bring more of these

1. Annie Mpinganzima - Site Author May 11, 2021 at 2:12 pm

Yess they are my first favorites too.. I’ll definitely write more of these. Thank you for reading!

2. The Afterthought May 11, 2021 at 7:11 pm

This is wonderful idea. Of all the books, I’ve only read The Fault in Our Stars. I should pick up the other two. Can’t name my favourite character (there are probably a number) but Adrian from Marissa Meyer’s Renegades came to mind as I was reading this. I would definitely like to write to him

1. Annie Mpinganzima - Site Author May 11, 2021 at 7:44 pm

I haven’t met him yet. I’ll check the book. Thank you

3. Tory Teller May 12, 2021 at 9:39 am

Lovely piece.
    I like how you made us feel and understand what happened with each character even if we may not have read the book.
    Good job!

1. Annie Mpinganzima - Site Author May 12, 2021 at 10:37 am

Thank you. Their stories are interesting and so are the books.

4. Takudzwanashe Ndangana May 12, 2021 at 10:10 am

I love this idea of writing a letter to your favourite characters😄. Fault in our stars was an emotional read but, it brought healing since l had recently lost a close relative to cancer. I can’t wait to meet Kainene, Half the Yellow Sun is my second reading of the month.

1. Annie Mpinganzima - Site Author May 12, 2021 at 10:36 am

You will surely love her and her sister. And you will learn a lot from the book about moral responsibility, the end of colonialism, ethnic allegiances, class and race–and the ways in which love can complicate them all.

5. Pingback: Letter to my favorite character [Part 2] – The Sunflower Bookshelf

6. Bolaji Gelax June 17, 2021 at 2:35 pm

I totally, completely enjoyed reading this, Annie. 🙌🏼

And yes, I’ve had this page opened for a while now.

1. Annie Mpinganzima - Site Author June 17, 2021 at 3:31 pm

Thank you for reading Bolaji. Books give us that feeling.. like we’ve known characters for ages